When it comes to dessert, we all have a very special place for it in our hearts. And there is no exception to the traditional Australian trifle recipe. Whatever the occasion, this stunning-looking dessert will always add more charm to your table.
And the best part is that it is really easy to prepare it at home. This lovely combination of cream and custard, paired with fruits, jelly soaked cake will make you eat bowl after bowl, even though you know that you should stop.
What Is Trifle?
Trifle is actually an English dessert. This one is enriched with the love and nurturing nature of our grandmoms. This is a type of traditional dessert that is carried forward from generation to generation.
But when it comes to traditional Australian trifle recipes, the preparation is a bit different. But the basics are always the same all the time. The typical layers of trifle consist of jelly, cream, and custard. Though across the world, there are many variations.
What Will We Need?
Here, I will guide you with the traditional Australian trifle recipe, which is pretty simple, and actually, a throw-together recipe that you will be able to make easily. You do not need any special master chef skills in order to prepare trifles with this easy recipe.
The very first thing that you need to prepare is the jelly base for a traditional Australian trifle recipe. One of my most favorite flavors is Port Wine Jelly. But that does not mean that you have to use only this one.
You always can use any flavor that you like the most. The sweet flavor of raspberry and blackberry go really well for the traditional Australian trifle recipe base.
2. Swiss Jam Roll
You can always use any of the swiss rolls from the local store. At the same time, it is also really popular to use Madeira cake, homemade vanilla sponge cake, or Italian sponge fingers, such as in tiramisu.
You can either slice it or chop the cakes into squares, whatever you like. It totally depends on your choice and the type of presentation you want.
When it comes to the custard part of a traditional Australian trifle recipe, you can make your own kind of custard. Or, in case you want to take the shortcut route, you have the option of buying a double-thick custard all the time.
But when you are buying custard, you need to be a little cautious and always should go with the best and thickest options available. Remember you are going to put cream on it, so it should have the strength to hold the cream.
Traditional Australian Trifle Recipe
Now is the time to start with the actual preparation of the traditional Australian trifle recipe. Follow the below-mentioned steps, and you will be able to make your favorite dessert.
- Take a large mixing bowl and pop your jelly crystals on it, and then add boiling water. Now stir well until the crystals are totally dissolved. Use some cold water to top it up, and keep stirring through. Now set aside and let it cool.
- Now slice the cake or the jam roll, whatever you are using, into 1.5 cm wide slices. Now take a deep trifle dish, and arrange the slices in a single layer; if you want, you also can arrange one row of cake slices around the edge as well.
- Into the middle, add some canned fruit. Now pour the jelly very carefully over the cake slices till it covers the layering. Keep it in the fridge and let it sit for around 3 hours.
- While the jelly is sitting in the fridge, we can start with the next step. Put the cream in a large mixing bowl, or stand mixer. If you want, you also can add additional sugar and vanilla essence; it will enrich the taste. Whip the cream on high speed for around 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cream thickens and holds a nice shape.
- After 3 hours of refrigeration, when the jellyfish set, use a large spoon for layering the custard over the jelly. After adding the custard, use the back of the spoon to smooth the surface.
- Now gently place a spoonful of the whipped cream, and spread the cream very lightly using a fork to cover the custard, and make the final lawyering of a traditional Australian trifle recipe.
- Finally, top with some fresh fruits like blueberries and strawberries; you also can add a light sparking of iced sugar if you want.
When you are layering the traditional Australian trifle recipe, make sure that you are doing it really gently. Especially when you are layering the whipped cream to cover the custard, be very gentle. The last thing you will want is to push the cream into the custard.
You also need to be more careful when serving it. A ladle or spoon with a long handle will work for scooping through all the layers. This will be perfect to dish each serving up with the even amount of every layer.
We all like variations with our desserts, and especially when it is our favorite one, like a traditional Australian trifle recipe. If you are not that much into fresh fruits, feel free to experiment with the toppings.
Add some chocolate shavings, marshmallows, lollies, or sprinkles. Some of us also might like crushed peanuts or their favorite crushed cookies, like Oreos.
Here are some questions that most of us usually have in our minds when it comes to the traditional Australian trifle recipe. Let’s get the answers to those questions.
1. Can I Freeze The Trifle?
Though it is not recommended very much, fresh trifles are the best and usually are stored in the fridge. Make sure you are eating it within 2 to 3 days. Otherwise, the cake will start to disintegrate, and it will all turn into mush.
2. What Is The Best Way To Present The Trifle?
The easiest way is to use a large bowl that is made of glass and specially designed for serving traditional Australian trifle recipes. It will really show off all the layers. If you don’t have one, you can just use a deep bowl. You also can serve in individual glasses or ramekins.
3. Can It Be Made The Day Before?
In case you want to make it the day before, leave the cream and topping part. And add it when you are ready to serve. This way, the traditional Australian trifle recipe dessert will look its best.
So, this is all about the traditional Australian trifle recipe. I hope you get all the answers that you had in your mind regarding the traditional Australian trifle recipes. This dessert always allows you to experiment a bit, so feel free to try different things.